Sunday, January 15, 2006

My 2005 Time Capsule

Every year my big brother asks his family (and others I suppose) to create a time capsule of the previous year. I like doing this because when I look back on what I have said in previous years, I realize how I am changing and how I am staying the same and how the things that are constant in my life change in importance and meaning.
I am putting my time capsule here on the blog to share. Regarding what has changed/stayed the same--while the Indigo Girls have always been on my list of favorite artists, I rediscovered their significance in my life this year. I love the Indigo Girls. I still love Ellen Degeneres and Jeanine Garofolo. My favorite female celebrity in the superficial category changed this year, thanks to Bend It Like Beckham. I didn't watch any TV this year so there is little meaning in that category. And I never pay attention to the news closely enough to remember what happens in a year. This year (2006) will be different. (no that is NOT a New Year's Resolution)
Here's my time capsule--Enjoy!
Time Capsule: 2005
Pop Culture and The Arts

I. Favorite Movies
--Max: I loved thinking about this movie. As I have said elsewhere, it is one of the only movies I can recall ever having wawtched and then watched again immediately. I wanted to see it again with eyes that had seen it before. I loved the pregnant possibilities and hope in this movie. I thought the actor who played Hitler did a great job.
--The Quiet American: I saw this movie in the worst format ever (a church classroom on a small screen TV with bad sound in an uncomfortable chair) and it was able to rise above the physical experience and transport me elsewhere. I saw it early in the year and so don't remember much more about it, other than I know I really liked it and want to see it again. It was fodder for a great conversation with Brian and that was also nice.
--Shallow Hal: This movie was such a great surprise for me. I don't like the brothers that made this film, generally or their comedy. But I was falling in love with Jack Black when I saw this movie and it clenched the love affair for me.
--Billy Elliot: what a joyful experience. I was in fear for a great portion of the movie that some type of violence and hatred was going to leak in to this boy's life. But it didn't and I appreciated that.
--City of God: This movie told a story I didn't know, even though I have spent a lot of my life working with poor and powerless people. I liked the characters and the setting and the color.

II. Most Watched TV Shows

--Law and Order: I am not ashamed. I like Law and Order. I watch it whenever Melissa lets me.
--House: I started watching this because Melissa watches it. But then it grew on me. And now that I know that this guy is faking his American accent I like it even better.
--Will and Grace: I laugh out loud in virtually every episode. I could live without Will or Grace. In fact I mostly hate Grace. It should come as no surprise that I love Jack.

III. Favorite Books
--Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides: Recommended and given to me by Maria Jose. Far and away one of the best books I have read in a very long time. It's in contention for one of my favorite books of all time. I love stories that are written this way, woven in and out of the fabric of a larger story. I loved the normalizing treatment of what it means to be born of ambiguous gender. And I love anything that helps me understand and feel comfortable in my own androgyny.
--Bittersweet by Nevada Barr: I found this pretty much all by myself. It felt like a sophomoric effort on the part of the author. But I still liked it. I bought it in San Francisco. It's the story of two women discovering their love for eachother in the West in the 1800's, which is not really a great time to be a lesbian. It highlighted for me some of the similiarities of our current societal bent towards women loving eachother. It was life affirming to me.
--The Wee Free Men by Terry Pratcher: Given to me by my father who got the recommendation from staff at Women and Children First Books (http://www.womenandchildrenfirst.com). I loved this book. It was totally fun and easy. I quickly devored the next in the series, only to find out that there aren't any more yet. YET . . .

--The Devil in the White City by Erik Larson: I read this book on my vacation to Arkansas with Melissa and had a hard time putting it down. I am learning to appreciate historical fiction and perspective.
--Thinks by David Lodge: Recommended and given to me by Steve. I didn't think I was going to like it when I started it. Too much obsession with sex. But it got so much better. I also read this very early in the year and so don't have much more recollection about it.

IV. Favorite Artist(s)
--Indigo Girls—Now more than Ever! http://www.indigogirls.com/activism.html I rediscovered the Indigo Girls this year. I mean I love them and I always have, ever since I first heard them in Steve's duplex on Merida over a pot of Steve's spaghetti. (He graduated from TCU the next day, there is a cool picture of me from that trip, black and white, I think Ruth took it) But this year, on the way home from school one night, I watched the sunset while listening to the Indigo Girls and realized that I hadn't done that in a very long time. I came home and Melissa and I sat in our back yard and watched the stars come out and burned pinon in our chiminea and listened to the Indigo Girls and purged a bunch of my demons.
--Sugarland http://www.sugarlandmusic.com--Featuring one of my favorite out guitarists--Kristen Hall: For a sample of their music, click on the link. Melissa found Sugarland for me and I liked it. I then discovered that Kristen Hall writes and plays guitar for the group. And then I loved them! And then I heard them mentioned in an Indigo Girls song and I really loved them. (yes, i am fickle). I used to listen to Kristen Hall in college when she was a folksy acoustic type. I think the woman who sings for Sugarland is a bit annoying. But I love to sing their songs.


V. Favorite Song

--Sugarland—Something More: I mean you should hear me sing this one. I LOVE IT!
--Little Big Town—The Boondocks: Getting ready for work one morning, I turned on CMT (I don't know why?) and this song was playing. I heard it, loved the harmony, went to the computer to find the song, listened to it again, ended up being late for work. I have sampled the CD at Barnes and Noble and am not committed to the group or the CD, but I do really like this song. For a sample, click on the link: http://www.littlebigtown.com


VI. Memorable Events

--Introducing Six Flags to Olivia with Dad and Brian: Olivia had a great time and it was fun to watch her overcome fears. Six Flags has added a kids section where there are baby like roller coasters and she had great fun there. But I remember she wanted to ride the Mexican Hat again (we ended up riding it 3 times); she wanted to ride the log ride again (2 times). The mini mine train was fun for her, but the runaway mine train was too scary. Brian and I rode the Judge Roy Scream twice and my favorite, the Texas Giant. And we got pink things, which are my favorite. I hope we do it again this year.
--Cowboys at Raider Nation with Brian: This was a frighteningly memorable event. I was scared the whole time. The ferocity of Raider Nation is not a myth. I don't remember anything about the game. I was scared the whole time.
--Pre-Season Cowboys with Brian, Steve, and MJ: We were so full of hope.
--End of the Season Cowboys with Brian and Steve in our new Cowboy jerseys: We were so disappointed.
--Denton Arts Festival with Melissa and Olivia: This was a fun day for us girls, just hanging out, eating fair food, looking at art, making art
--Main Street Arts Festival with Melissa: Melissa and I do this every year. We always have fun.
--Fat Stock Show with Melissa’s parents: The truth is they weren't that impressed with the show. Admittedly we didn't see any events, and they don't really like livestock. And the booths just don't compare to that great gathering in Minnesota--the Minnesota State Fair.


VII. Favorite Male Celebs

--Jack Black: See Shallow Hal--I fell in love with Jack Black 2004-2005. And then I read an interview with him in GQ in 2006. And then I didn't like him as much, because he said he didn't like Shallow Hal. And I loved it.

VIII. Favorite Female Celebs
--Jeanine Garofolo--I haven't seen her in anything this year but snippets of West Wing. But I love her. She's funny and cute and smart and has (had?) a show on Air America. Why isn't she on your favorites list?
--Ellen Degeneres--Ellen ALWAYS makes me laugh. And I don't laugh enough.
--Keira Knightley--See picture at right.









Seize The Day
I. Best Days
--An evening with Melissa in the backyard, burning the chiminea and remembering how to watch the stars: See Indigo Girls
--Sledding with Melissa’s family: I hadn't ever been sledding before and I loved it. I miss the snow, living here in Texas, and it was fun to have a day to play in it.
--My first day of vacation after I graduated—hanging with myself: I was in Dallas, I took inventory, I went to the only independent bookstore in the area, I drank coffee at my favorite coffee shop, I was fun.
--Giving Melissa a tour of Little Rock: LIttle Rock is a beautiful town and I have lots of personal history there. It was fun to visit again and Melissa also really liked it. We had great barbecue, bought wine at a neat little wine shop, drove up and down the beautiful urban avenues of LR.
-Hiking around the Castro with Brian: I wanted to so badly to see gay people in SanFrancisco. I wanted it to be a gay mecca. The day I hung out in the Castro by myself didn't compare to the day we went there together. Only we really never got there. We ate yummy Indian food and hiked up and down hills looking for the gay district. We were one block away, but never quite got there. And our legs hurt. And we had many laughs and good conversation.


II. Trips
--Minnesota with Melissa for Christmas: I hadn't been to Minnesota for Christmas in a couple of years. Melissa's parents home was beautiful and cozy and very Christmasey. And there was snow. And we built a snowwoman.
--San Francisco with Brian: I hadn't been on vacation in ages. It was a grand adventure and Brian was a super travelling companion. I loved San Francisco and can't wait to take Melissa back. One of my favorite things about this trip was seeing mountains and pine trees and palm trees in one vista. Central Texas with Mom, Dad, Steve and MJ: I enjoyed this quick trip down south. I had some good alone time in the car for myself, listening to music. I had some great conversations with Maria Jose (circumcision, parenting). We had great barbecue in some small town near Austin, good ice cream at the home of Blue Bell, cool hotel in Austin, good pie in Houston. We also did some swimming, Mom, MJ, Steve and I. Much fun.
--Arkansas with Melissa: Melissa and I found a great cabin in the boondocks of Central Arkansas. We enjoyed the mountains, hiked around Petit Jean, spent a day in Little Rock, visited old haunts in Conway, made home made pizza, had cinnamon rolls, drank our favorite beverages and watched the sunset. Can't wait to return.


III. Favorite Foods
--Indian food
--Seafood


IV. Favorite Restaurants/Bars
--Ocean Rock: Melissa and I like coming to this seafood restaurant in Bluebonnet Circle and sitting on the patio. Melissa likes the Catfish Po'Boy and I like the fish tacos
--The Grapevine: We visited this bar with one of Melissa's friends this year and it is the coolest bar ever. My requirements for a cool bar are a good juke box, an outdoor seating area, comfy chairs/couches, nice people, good bartenders and a pool table. It has all this and a basketball court. What more could you want?

Milestones
I. Top Accomplishments
--I spent eleven years prostrate to the higher mind, got my paper and I was FREE!!!!!


II. Memorable News Stories
--Seems like it was dreary news year. I was most affected by Hurricane Katrina and those devastated by it.

III. Relationship Developments (new friendships, lost friendships, family updates, etc.)
--Many pregnancy attempts
--Many pregnancy failures
--New friends through my internship and schooling (I actually got something I wanted out of my educational endeavors!)
--Two new nephews—Emilio and Vincent
--Melissa’s parents visited us at our home for the first time since we’ve had a home together
--My uncle Milton died
--My uncle Allen died

Material World
I. Memorable Gifts Given
--Coupons for a year of hanging out to Brian
--A baby shower for Steve, MJ and Emilio

II. Memorable Gifts Received
--A love knot ring from Melissa
--My MP3 player
--Enormous financial support from Brian to take a trip to San Francisco
--A better office chair

--Flowers from My Love
III. Significant or Meaningful Purchases for self
--A vacation to San Francisco with Brian


IV. Appearance changes
--Losing weight/Gaining it back
--My hair got much much longer






V. Favorite Clothes
My pajamas: I have more pajamas than any other piece of clothing. Including socks and underwear. I love pajama pants. My favorites are my navy blue ones with little white flowers on them.
Blue jeans: Dress codes suck.
Turtle necks: Not having a chin or a neck sucks. Turtle necks make this better.
Cargo Shorts: Don't have to carry a purse.
Sandals: My free feet
Docs:I wear Doc Marten's in some form or another every day that I go to work and have been wearing them since 1993. I have four pairs of DM's and the oldest are my boots and my browns which I have had since 2000. I pride myself on this.


Sports
I. Favorite Hometown Athletes
Demarcus Ware

II. Favorite Non-Hometown Athletes
Peyton Manning
Steve Smith


9 comments:

Steve said...

Thanks for posting the time capsule (I didn’t know you wore Doc Martens . . .)—and thanks again for organizing the baby shower. This was truly an awesome year for you. Congrats. I hope this year tops it.

I am pleased that you liked Max, The Quiet American, Shallow Hal, and City of God much. My recommendation that you see those films must surely compensate my recommendation of Monster (though I know that you have begrudingly claimed that you don’t regret seeing it). I’m also glad to see that you liked Thinks, which I gave you for Christmas in 2004, I believe. I don’t remember talking to you about it and I wonder if it made this list just because you didn’t read that many novels this year. If you think I’d like Sugarland or Little Big Town, I hope you’ll send me samples of their music next time you get a chance.
I think Keira Knightley was good in Bend It Like Beckham, Pride and Prejudice (although there were so false notes there, but I blame the director for that) and Pirates of the Caribbean. I love the introduction I got to Jack Black in High Fidelity, he was great in Shallow Hal, and pretty good in the inferior School of Rock. He was in over his head—or poorly directed—in King Kong, though. According to imdb.com, Mr. Black is Jewish, his parents were rocket scientists (really!) and when he was in college (at UCLA) he was in Tim Robbins’s acting troupe. They’re still friends, apparently. In short, it appears that this silly, talented man has a head.

Steve said...

That's what I'm talking about. Awesome additions. Awesome time capsule. You go, girl. Your 2005 will not be sucked down the memory hole (unless blogger.com blows up and takes our memories with it).
It disapoints me to hear that Jack Black didn't like Shallow Hal. He must not be a good judge of his own talents. I enjoyed hearing about your Arkansas trip with Melissa. I don't think I ever got a blow by blow of that event. Don't know where I was when it came about. As for Doc Martens . .. I think of them as the boots skinheads tuck their black pants in. Guess I'm wrong.

akid said...

Great Time Capsule. What a year. Without the Time Capsule to highlight all the "highs", I would have forgotten them. One thing I like about the Time Capsule is that it doesn't focus on "worst" anything. I am so glad I was able to share so many of your "bests" with you. Thanks for including me (both in the events and in the telling of the events.)

lisa said...

I DO NOT recommend reading the GQ article on Jack Black. It disappointed me in many ways.
--as for Doc Marten's i always felt like they were more a symbol of proletariat, counterculture, protest than skinheads.
--i agree with akid that the time capsule is cool because it doesn't revisit the lows. my time capsule speaks for itself in that it includes akid so much.

rnr said...

I can't imagine the work involved in doing a time capsule (or an extensive movie review like Steve does). Just the thought process staggers me into decontemplation. But I do have this suggestion for those of you who have done so on this blog site. COPY AND PASTE YOUR WORK INTO A WORD DOCUMENT TODAY. DON'T TRUST THAT BLOGGER WILL STILL BE HERE WHEN OLIVIA AND EMILIO ARE GROWN AND WOULD LIKE TO READ THESE WONDERFUL COMMENTS AND INSIGHTS!!

rnr said...

Regarding Devil in the White City - it's my book group's selection for February. I found the following mini-review by Adrienne Miller in Esquire insightful, "You've got to respect a book that makes you keep flipping to the back cover, double-checking that it is nonfiction. Erik Larson's The Devil in the White City seems like something from the mind of, say, Thomas Harris. But it is, in fact, true. A gruesome and gripping book....[The heart of the story is so good, you find yourself asking how you could not know this already.]"

lisa said...

You'll definitely want to go back to Chicago after reading Devil.

rnr said...

Regarding Law and Order - my favorite is L&O Criminal Intent. I adore Vincent D'Onofrio and could watch him forever (and I think Kathryn Erbe's Eames makes a perfect partner for his Goren). I have been a fan of V.D. since I first saw him in Full Metal Jacket. So far, I have enjoyed him in everything I have seen. Every season I think he will drop out and am relieved when he returns for another season. That's the only thing which makes the alternate starring of Chris Noth and Annabella Sciorra tenable - were it not for this break, I think he would quit, having been hospitalized last year for exhaustion.

rnr said...

I would love to see the B&W photo you mentioned as having been taken on the occasion of Steve's graduation from TCU.