"Did you have a happy childhood?" is a false question. As a child, I did not know what happiness was, and whether I was being happy or not. I was too busy being. --Alistair Reid
I think some people just have a genetic aptitude for remembering details that others don't. Jennifer and Nancy both share this, but many of their friends do not. I agree with Steve that writing it down will help keep the memories alive and real, but I lack the discipline to do so. I remember so well the feeling of being surrounded by love, of having great parents (my parents were in their 40's, wise and wonderful, when I was born) and 5 older brothers (2 were married and one had a son who I would grow up with) who cherished me, and a dog to love. I remember... wonderful times playing outdoors in the summertime until midnight... hanging wet tea towels on the screen doors to cool the breeze on hot West Texas days with no air conditioning... endless games, with my family, friends, and large extended family as my brothers married and had children... playing sandlot softball with the neighbor kids... watering out tarantulas in vacant lots in our neighborhood (keeping them in a jar overnight and releasing them next day - my mom's rule)... my mom's always having pet spiders in her corners - they would move up the wall when she would clean and then back down... lots of laughter and lots of teasing... being so scared that my parents wouldn't live long enough for me to grow up that I couldn't sleep at night... sharing a bedroom with my parents while 3 of my brothers shared the other one... going bowling on Friday night summers and roller skating on Saturday night summers... my mom's cooking... special meals she made for me when I had a heavy load of homework... her potato soup anytime I was sick... my daddy teaching me to drive... playing jacks with my Daddy... going to circuses with my Daddy... taking for granted that we would always be able to share holidays... I'd better stop before I blubber... The problem (the blessing) of having a wonderful childhood is the pressure (the challenge) to have a wonderful life!
It's clear from this and others of ruthier's entries that she should totally have a blog. What beautiful memories. I want to hear more. More about the dog, your wise and wonderful parents, tarantulas, rollerskating, tea towel air conditioning . . .
5 comments:
I don't remember much from my childhood. what do you think this means?
It means that if you don't make time capsules you forget everything!
I think it means you were too busy being a child.
I think some people just have a genetic aptitude for remembering details that others don't. Jennifer and Nancy both share this, but many of their friends do not. I agree with Steve that writing it down will help keep the memories alive and real, but I lack the discipline to do so.
I remember so well the feeling of being surrounded by love, of having great parents (my parents were in their 40's, wise and wonderful, when I was born) and 5 older brothers (2 were married and one had a son who I would grow up with) who cherished me, and a dog to love. I remember... wonderful times playing outdoors in the summertime until midnight... hanging wet tea towels on the screen doors to cool the breeze on hot West Texas days with no air conditioning... endless games, with my family, friends, and large extended family as my brothers married and had children... playing sandlot softball with the neighbor kids... watering out tarantulas in vacant lots in our neighborhood (keeping them in a jar overnight and releasing them next day - my mom's rule)... my mom's always having pet spiders in her corners - they would move up the wall when she would clean and then back down... lots of laughter and lots of teasing... being so scared that my parents wouldn't live long enough for me to grow up that I couldn't sleep at night... sharing a bedroom with my parents while 3 of my brothers shared the other one... going bowling on Friday night summers and roller skating on Saturday night summers... my mom's cooking... special meals she made for me when I had a heavy load of homework... her potato soup anytime I was sick... my daddy teaching me to drive... playing jacks with my Daddy... going to circuses with my Daddy... taking for granted that we would always be able to share holidays... I'd better stop before I blubber... The problem (the blessing) of having a wonderful childhood is the pressure (the challenge) to have a wonderful life!
It's clear from this and others of ruthier's entries that she should totally have a blog. What beautiful memories. I want to hear more. More about the dog, your wise and wonderful parents, tarantulas, rollerskating, tea towel air conditioning . . .
Post a Comment