
I am getting irritated with formatting problems on Blogger. Any assistance is welcome. If you are looking for my profile or links they appear at the very bottom of this page.
Anyhoo--
Or is it anywho?
What does it mean anyway?
akid requested that I review Mad Hot Ballroom and so I will. Thanks to Netflix, Steve, Maria Jose and Brian, akid and I are watching many more movies than ever before. I think MJ recommended Mad Hot Ballroom and we watched it last weekend and we really enjoyed it. I am ready to take ballroom dancing lessons, and since i am no longer in school, this is actually an option. And there appears to be a place just for lesbians to learn in Dallas, which is also very nice since I am not into ostracism (had too look it up--originally wrote ostracization--silly me) lately. I thought alot about mj and her classroom, but also the story rang true for me and akid's experiences with kids here as well, especially at akid's last school. It reminded me how nice it must be to work with kids who aren't in crisis all the time, as akid and i do now. It reminded me how much fun I had teaching sex ed to 6th graders. it reminded us that there is a time in everyone's life before they make decisions that screw up their lives and that there are some people in the world who are fortunate enough to have parents who don't make decisions that screw up their lives. We liked it.
6 comments:
When I saw Mad Hot Ballroom last spring, I agreed with Ty Burr's review of it in the Boston Globe: http://www.boston.com/movies/display?display=movie&id=7821.
When I saw the funny, short kid on Letterman, he was annoying. Still, Mad Hot was one of the top 20 movies I saw last year.
My favorite ballroom dancing movie remains Strictly Ballroom, however. And my favorite kids-competing documentary is Spellbound.
Thanks for reviewing this. I loved it. (The movie and your review.)
spellbound and strictly ballroom are both on my netflix list
I really, really loved Strictly Ballroom. I saw it at the movie theater, and I've seen it twice on video. I loved how I so completely identified with that father (don't recall his name or the actor who played him), and I find that I often identify with the fathers in films. I recall that immediately after seeing Grizzly Man, while still in the theatre, I started talking about the father in June Bug, another movie which I saw while in Chicago (and didn't want to see because of the title) but it was peopled with the most quirky, interesting, nontraditional, controversial, jaw-dropping characters I can ever remember seeing in just one film. Don't let the title prevent you from seeing this memorable movie when it is released (I don't think it has been, yet).
I will also get Junebug on my list. I tend not to let titles of movies stand in my way. Interesting that you would. I have always thought you were fairly indiscriminate about the movies you watch, ruthier. Not that you shy away from being critical of them . . . : ) don't want to inadvertently wander into a debate between you and SFB>
Awww, why not, Lisa?
Post a Comment