
Well i've been wondering ever since i titled this blog how to spell tomatoes. I can't seem to get the spell checker on my posting screen to work. I'm taking advice on that, as well as why my posts are appearing at the bottom of the screen. I can't seem to get it fixed.
I love tomatoes. (i've checked my handy dandy american heritage dic and it assures me that it's
-oes.) Tomatoes are a mythic substance in my life. I feel like their presence in my life is ripe for reflection and story telling. I can't wait to get into tomato stories. I've got quite a few and I know that whenever I run out of other things to talk about, there will always be tomatoes, which I love.
One of my favorite sayings, that I think I made up in the company of good friends and a little extra help, is: "You're gonna regret that like a bad tomato." If you love tomatoes like I do, and if you've ever been desperate for a good tomato and resigned yourself, in January for instance, to a hothouse tomato or some whitish-pinkish tomato poser, then you know what it is to regret a bad tomato.
And there's plenty more where that came from!!
As for the avocados, well I love them too. And I think they go good with tomatoes. And their plural has been confirmed by the American heritage as being -os, which is different from tomatoes. But both tomatoes and avocados defy conventional categorization--vegetable? fruit? nut? citrus? And they both taste good on a BLT, which is the only sandwich thatI've ever met that covers up the unfortunate event of an underripe tomato or a bad avocado, as long as there's enough bacon and mayo.
And I have a couple of avocado stories up my sleeve as well.
And on this website, you can find a video of someone making guacamole if you're interested. www.chipotle.com
And tomatoes and avocados cheer me up.
8 comments:
Amy Stewart's roommate Jennifer Files taught me how to make guacamole on November 26th, 1987, in Madrid, Spain. We then served it along with peanut butter sandwiches to the Sainz de Baranda family as a Thanksgiving meal--my first away from home. That's the closest I come to a tomato story.
that's an avocado story, not a tomato story. but a good one nonetheless. More avocado (or tomato)stories welcome!!
Guacamole has avocados and tomatoes! At least Jennifer Files' recipe does.
AS a child listening to Lake Wobegon Days on tape with Grandmom, my favorite episode was always the one about tomatoes, describing styrofoam tomatoes strip-mined in Texas, and culminating with young Gary taking an enormous tomato off the vine, throwing it at his sister and hitting her right smack in the butt. How apropos.
When I was little, probably between the ages of 4 and 8, my grandma would take me to a park in downtown St. Paul to listen to live music. I don't remember what kind of music it was, but I remember that she always brought a blanket, a basket of cherry tomatoes, and a salt shaker.
YUMMM--Now that sounds good--a basket of cherry tomatoes, a salt shaker and a blanket in the park with live music. Maybe the ingredients of a perfect day for me.
Well, I'd like to say it's the language root of the word. I was thinking, avocado is a spanish word and spanish plurals just add the S. Tomato is not a spanish word. But then I realised... avocado in spanish is actually aguacate. So that's probably not the reason.
Oh well. And I have no interesting tomato stories, but I make a mean guac!
Hey Jmai--
always up for a mean guac recipe. not interested in any guac recipes with mayo or any other white creamy substance in them. i am a minimalist at heart. avocado, lime, salt, pepper, maybe a bit of tomato or a spoon of salsa. I know steve puts garlic in his. but bring it on. i'll try most anything once.
Post a Comment